Coopers Real ale kit

Home Forums Home brewing Coopers Real ale kit

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Woodmore
    Keymaster

Just started this kit off, I used brew enhancer 2 instead of sugar, SG is 1038, FV temp is 20.3C

I can’t really chill kegged beer, well not at the moment but I do have plans for a “kegerator”, so I am brewing this alew because that can be drunk at room temp.

I like Ales but prefer lagers or more specifically “blonde” beers but they need chilling and it’s a ball ach bottling them so I can chill a couple at a time.

Steve Woodmore
    Keymaster

I have just checked the specific gravity (SG) of this brew, BTW I use a refractometer which means less wastage than farting around filling a trial jar for a hydrometer reading, anyway starting gravity 1038, today’s reading 1026 that’s an ABV of 1.58%.

I don’t actually need to check the SG each day I just like to, the reality is it should take about 5-7 days for the yeast to turn all the sugar into alcohol so you only really need to check the SG right at the start before pitching the yeast and then start checking after 5 days.

The instructions on the kit will tell you the brew is done after 7 days, but that’s bollocks, the brew is done when the SG remains the same for at least 2 days running, I personally leave it for 3 days running then add another 4-5 days before racking so that’s around 14 days in total.

Steve Woodmore
    Keymaster

THis brew has got “stuck” the SG reached 1020 and stopped dead.

I think it’s the combination of temperature and not enough yeast, kits only come with around 5g of it and really you need 11g for a decent brew.
    The temp fell to 18 a couple of days ago and that’s when the brew stopped, I have stirred it, that didn’t help, I got the heating belt out and brought the temp uop to 22c and that hasn’t stared it either.

I do have both Nottingham and Safale US05 yeasts on order and they should be here in the next few days and I will try to restart the brew with one of those, if that fails then I’ll just chuck it and start another.

Steve Woodmore
    Keymaster

Well I repitched with the SA05 yeast, used the heating belt to bring the wort up to 22c and even added some more sugar and nothing, zip, zilch the stalled brew would not restart so I have no idea what’s gone wrong there then.
    SG was 1.020 which gives me a ABV of 2.89%

I was a bit reluctant to chuck it all away so I kegged it into a plastic pressure barrel, added 83g of DME for carbonation and will leave it a few weeks and see what happens with it

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.