Wow, I actually did some proper DIY.
Since I got ill I haven’t been able to really do very much. One of my hobbies is brewing my own beer and here in London the water is chlorinated which gives my beer a “funny” taste. To get around that I normally use bottled water and each brew takes 20 litres which in my condition is actually an enormous task to get from the shops to home.
So…to get around having to go to the supermarket, especially now as we are in a Lockdown due to COVID-19 I decided the best thing to would be to remove the chlorine from my tap water.
After a little research I discover a simple DIY filter tap kit with a T33 replaceable filter would do the trick and remove 95% of the chlorine and other things that made my beer taste bad. £17.99 on Amazon inc delivery.
I ordered the kit and it duly arrived. My intention was to get a friend of mine who is a plumber by trade to do it as I really don’t have the energy.
I used to love doing DIY, I have loads of tools and loved doing all the little jobs even my own plumbing however illness put a stop to all that.
I looked at the kit and it just looked so simple I though “sod it” I will have a go at it and if I cock it up I know a plumber who can put it right.
First job, fit the tap to the sink. That was a 2-fold nightmare, firstly drilling a 12mm hole through the steel of the sink. I started with a small 2mm drill bit which went through easily enough then gradually used larger and larger bits to 10mm which is the largest I had.
I was going to get a file and make the hole bigger then I remembered I did have some cone drills bits that would go up to 20mm.. some what? cone drills, these.
I wish I had remembered about these before I started as I could have saved myself a lot of effort.
Anyway it took me just about an hour as I had to keep stopping because I was getting short of breath but in the end I got there, a 12mm hole.
So I popped the tap in and then went to put on the bottom washers and nut to fix it to the base.
It’s a very small space to work in and it took me ages as I could only use one hand in the gap, just getting the washers on and getting the nut to hold onto the first threads took me another hour. It left me a gasping sweating heap, half in the kitchen cupboard and half out I also used lots and lots of very rude words.
Once I had done that I then had to get a spanner in there to do the nut up, this involved a feat of contortionism I didn’t think I was capable of .
Once I had done that I then connected the part of the pipe that would run from the filter to the tap, more contortionism and more very rude words.
Eventually after another hour I had done it.
So far it’s taken me nearly 3 hours just to get this simple thing done, in my younger days I guess probably 45 mins or less but there you go, right next job find a place and fit the filter.
Simple job, took about 15 mins.
Next job, put the self tapping connection onto the cold water feed this clamps to the pipe then you turn a screw which pieces the pipe and allows water to flow.
Now this next step is very, very IMPORTANT connect the water line to the adapter and the ball valve making sure the ball valve is set off BEFORE you attempt to turn the screw to cut into the cold water pipe.
I had a lot more room to do this and I could use both hands, it still took me a while and left me drenched in sweat but I got the clamp on, connected all the tubing and then turned the screw to pierce the pipe. It went through nice and easily then I had to unscrew it to open the valve, this is the point where if you didn’t attach the pipe and check the ball valve was in the off position you would soon get very wet. I didn’t because I had already done that.
Nearly there now, all that remains to be done is to connect the pipe from the ball valve to the filter, open the ball vale and see if anything leaks, it didn’t, yay go team me.
With all the breaks I had to take including having to use my nebuliser twice it took me just under 6 hours to do it all but finally.. Job done.